Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Chewbacca Mom - Really?


Ok I'm not being funny or a miserable old git or anything but I just have three words - ChewbaccaMom - really?

If you have spent the last couple of days in a cardboard box or doing something meaningful you may have missed this phenomenon but the 130 million people who checked her out on Facebook clearly haven't.

So Chewbacca Mom is Candace Payne from Texas. She goes to Kohls to get stretch pants but ends up getting a Chewbacca mask instead and takes a selfie as she laughs hysterically. Errr and that's it.

Still, a couple of days later Payne has become a household name. She's carpooling with Star wars director JJ Abrams and is appearing on Good Morning America.

The Washington Post is writing analytical pieces on her transformative role in society.

Payne's video is a "reminder that life is filled with simple pleasures," it states. "Even with all of the negativity in the world, you can drive to Kohl's, buy a toy under $20 and crack yourself up alone in your car. it's uncomplicated, It's not stressful." the Washington Post states.

I have to say I found myself imagining the newsroom and the conference when some editor asked for volunteers to write about the transformative effects of Chewwy Mom. Suddenly all eyes go to the floor and pencils tap nervously.

Back in the day I recall the news editor lobbing a curveball at my features team when he wanted us to write about Dido's Thank You and how it was doing so well because everybody wanted to be happy and smiley and all that nonsense before he disappeared to the bar to drink himself into an angry stupor.

At least Dido had talent on her side and wasn't just famous for cackling to herself in a car. I guess one clutches at straws for amusement in the age of Donald Trump.







4 comments:

  1. Love your piece. I caught it yesterday and was shocked that, that was all there was to it. I read she'd been on some singing show and thought she'd sang some song with soul or something and blew the world away with her voice, but no, she just sat there and laughed. I think you're right, in a world where DT is our best (heaven help us) - what else do we expect. Sadly, not much, not much at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Yolanda - nope not so much at all :)

      Delete
  2. I guess I've been living in a cave because I wasn't aware of this crazy phenomenon. Funny what kind of thing will all of a sudden thrust someone into the limelight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you haven't missed much Karen - glad you found the blog tho

      Delete

On Blog PTSD

Now then. What the heck. It seems I had forgotten about my blog completely rather than just neglecting it this time. To return after so long...