Wednesday, April 10, 2013

J is for Jackass

A jackass is a male donkey. Unlike many of the animals I have featured in this A to Z challenge such as sharks and hippos, most of us have experienced this animal at close quarters, at some time or another. We may have even ridden on one. When you grew up in Britain and the highlight of your summer is a chilly day at Weston-Super-Mud, the donkey ride may have been the highlight of your childhood possibly.

At least until the donkey refused to move. And you ended up with a complex that was with you for the rest of your life. I digress. Candy floss is also a very traumatic thing.


(Oscar Panther)


There are actually 40 million domestic donkeys in the world and they are seen as the poor man's fashion accessory, even more so than owning a Yugo.

A male donkey or ass is called a jack, a female is called a jenny or jennet. Jack donkeys and female horses are used to produce mules. All of them can be pretty stubborn, a quality I see as admirable. If you know a couple called Jack and Jenny, you can bet they'll be asses. I'm not sure where Jill comes into the picture.

Donkeys have been domesticated since 3000 BC or thereabouts. The ancestors of the modern donkey are the Nubian and Somalian subspecies of African wild ass. In ancient Egypt the number you owned was a sign of prosperity.

Donkeys are widely used in agriculture and even in warfare. The New Zealand Medical Corps used donkeys to rescue wounded soldiers from the battlefield at Gallipoli, during World War One. The Italian army, never the finest fighting force since the days of ancient Rome, used them widely. Although it's said an army marches on its stomach, in this case the soldiers marched on their asses, because the donkeys were also used for meat.

The Jewish people wouldn't approve because donkeys aren't considered Kosher. But they play a prominent role in the Bible.

An Old Testament prophesy, has the Messiah arriving on a donkey: "Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, Lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey!" it says.

"With the rise of Christianity, some believers came to see the cross-shaped marking present on donkeys' backs and shoulders as a symbol of the animal's bearing Jesus into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, " states Wikipedia. "During the Middle Ages, Europeans used hairs from this cross (or contact with a donkey) as folk remedies to cure illness, including measles and whooping cough.


Donkeys (Rylee Isitt)


In the 15th Century one doctor even listed riding backwards on a donkey as a cure for scorpion stings, tempting me to make the obvious ass backwards joke.

There are too many references to donkeys in literature and film to list here. Shakespeare derided them as stupid in a Midsummer Night's Dream; Cervantes Don Quixote puts a better spin on them and the dour Eeyore in Winnie the Poo is perhaps the most famous literary donkey of them all.

Donkeys also feature in politics. Opponents and satirists depicted U.S. President Andrew Jackson as a "Jackass." Jackson liked the insult and the donkey later became the symbol of the Democratic party. See J is for Jacksonian, Jackass.

Useless Fact About the Jackass

The word donkey replaced ass from 18th century, as society became more polite. Rooster also replaced cock at this time.

What Not to Say to a Jackass

Are you feeling a little hoarse?






36 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for this one.

    Donkeys are so cute. And sweet. I liked learning more about them here.

    PS. Remind me not to marry a guy named Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. err finally getting round to catching up. Let's hope the man of your dreams doesn't end up being called jack or Don Key.

      Delete
  2. Jack and Jenny! I never knew that. That's a piece of knowledge I'm going to store away to impress people at cocktail parties. ;) Love your writing style!!

    Dana at Waiter, drink please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Dana - never knew the Jack and Jenny thing either until I researched...:)

      Delete
  3. The word jackass has a bad connotation these days. Not really sure if these poor creatures deserve the stigma.

    From the A-Z neighborhood,
    Dee is for Deecoded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah they seem basically good natured compared to many of the animals I am writing about in this series Dee.

      Delete
  4. I'm Now trying to think if I know a Jack and Jenny as a couple..
    Oh yes! I remember those heady, seaside visits where the poor little donkeys trudge up and down the beach. "But, I wanna go on the one called the one called 'Smudge"

    Now I want to go on the one called Jack.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we all wanted the one called Smudge Juliette - also have bad memories of a press trip to Israel in which a rather large lad was put on a tiny donkey

      Delete
  5. A lot of donkeys here on Skopelos, but not the seaside variety, most of them work pretty hard for a living. My late mother-in-law had a former seaside donkey as a pet. She rejoiced under the name of Boot and was very sweet natured. Then my mother-in-law decided to get a companion for Boot, a male she named Wellington (geddit?). Sadly Wellington really was a jackass. Hey ho. Enjoying seeing how you're getting on with this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - bad luck re Wellington - thanks Mark - must check out your blog again sooon

      Delete
  6. Donkeys are soooooooo CUTE!!!!! I've never ridden one and I'm not sure I've even petted one (I was not a kid for whom petting zoo trips were appreciated as I don't like farm smells). Saddest Christmas special ever: Nestor, the Long Eared Christmas Donkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm missed that gem JoJo - time to go out and pet a donkey

      Delete
  7. Who knew Donkeys were such a cure-all? Oh wait... You have to wonder why people came up with those ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge list to say "Hi"

    Really enjoyed your post honey, fascinating!

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vikki - off to check out yours :)

      Delete
  9. I didn't know that female donkeys were called jennys. The line about Jack and Jenny totally cracked me up.
    I totally love donkeys and the fact that they are called jackasses makes them even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you liked that line Julie - yep they are cool

      Delete
  10. Donkeys are so cute. I have a friend who has horses and another friend and I always tell her she needs to get a donkey one day. She has yet to. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say we all need a donkey at some time Patricia, not sure the yard's big enough, tho

      Delete
  11. Your post is informative and funny. I'm glad I found you through A to Z. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting Grammy - will check your out.

      Delete
  12. We used to go to Blackpool each year and I rode the same donkey, I forgot his name! Never knew male donkeys were called jackass though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aye you forge a bind with your seaside donkey - even at Blackpool which is bloody cold.

      Delete
  13. Having a great time reading your A to Z blogging. :) Thanks for the smiles and laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty sure I have ridden a donkey on Weston-super-Mare beach. We stayed in a hotel there for one night and the room smelt of rotten eggs, then Dad accidentally locked the car keys in the boot and we had to call out the AA. Funny the things you remember. We went to Minehad the next night which was much nicer!

    Definitely ridden donkeys in Skeggy and Morecambe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I know Weston was a kind of depressing place to do anything I seem to recall..

      Delete
  15. Donkeys are adorable. Can't say that I've ever had the pleasure of riding one though. Hmm thinking of changing my name to Jenny. Would be sort of fun to have an excuse for being an ass. Could direct people here to read this post. Then how could they argue possibly take issue? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I didn't know what candy floss was so I had to go look that up. Turns out I do know what it is, but just by a different name. We always called it cotton candy. I'm sure I've ridden a donkey or two when I was quite small at a local fair or festival round and round in a circle with 3 or 4 other donkeys. When I got older, I always felt sorry for those donkeys going round and round all day with nothing to see but the rear of the donkey in front of you and having to carry noisy, sticky, kicking kids on your back. It didn't seem like a very happy life. I think my favorite donkey would have to be Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh, lovable gloomy, old gus that he is. Great post, David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha yes cotton candy - I do revert to Britishisms sometimes. they often did look miserable..

      Delete
  17. one would not even want to hazard a guess Deborah :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love donkeys. My mum used to despair when I was a child. She wanted me to take up horse riding and I'd always find the loneliest, saddest looking donkey and ask to ride that instead. If you think donkeys are stubborn, you haven't come across a horse that knows you're afraid of it.

    ReplyDelete

On Blog PTSD

Now then. What the heck. It seems I had forgotten about my blog completely rather than just neglecting it this time. To return after so long...