Friday, January 25, 2013

As Pure as Snow Angels

So here's my snow angel from a few years ago. Half frozen in the half light, but never wanting to go inside.



And the snow is here again and it obliterates the blandness of the street. It fuels dreams and desires and opens up pristine vistas.

Here's the snow angel today. Pure and cleansed with never an impure thought. Somewhat like me. (pause as coughing fit takes over). How quickly we lose our innocence.



Snow makes me think of the mountains. The day when I was alone on the glacier and the world was a silver, stripped down wonderland that flitted away from me at the sweep of my arm, the sun glinting on my skis as I moved down the slope.



Then I recall the night on the lake, the purple skies sinking over the mountains as the cold, hard lights of St. Moritz glinted across the ice and a coldness crystallized the very stars.



And now I think of all the silent glades as the full moon looms large overhead. We can walk hand in hand East of Eden, West of the Carpathians for hours absorbed in each other and never let a soul cross out our footprints in the snow.

 
Snow at the Dismal Swamp Canal, NC (David Macaulay)


We can lose ourselves in our thoughts and each other in a place faded out on the map where the decay of the earth is iced over by the driven snow.

16 comments:

  1. Pretty photos. It's surprising how clean and beautiful a layer of snow can make everything look, isn't it. Your little pink angel daughter looks like she is having fun. Hope you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Daisy - a couple of hours of snowball throwing and it was all over

      Delete
  2. Very pretty pics for sure! I do love how snow first looks when it's fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks JoJo - better than when it's yellow and brown and icky

      Delete
  3. Lovely pics, David. We got a bit of snow up in NY tonight, too. Your snow looks purtier. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the snow, pretty snow angel!

    The best is the sunshine and snow, brilliant!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not seeing any snow this year, but that's OK. Granada is not made for snow, it would only look weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but you have ski resorts that way don't you Starla?

      Delete
  6. You've almost made me want to run and play in the snow. (I'm a wimpy California girl, chilled in 60 degree weather.) This was beautifully written, and I love the pink snow angel.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Robyn - guess you don't get much snow eh xo

      Delete
  7. You make snow sound magical and wonderful, as opposed to the enemy, which is how I see it. Lol. I hope you enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't ya like it Jen - well better when you don't have to drive in that crap

      Delete
  8. Yes yes and yes.

    It snowed here yesterday. Huge globby chunks fell and stuck to everything making it look, for a bit, just as you have brought to mind.

    Lovely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Deborah - can imagine you get just a small bit of it..

      Delete

On Blog PTSD

Now then. What the heck. It seems I had forgotten about my blog completely rather than just neglecting it this time. To return after so long...