Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shakespeare in the workplace


Whenever I have time to come up for air these days, I occasionally have time to reflect. I probably spend at least 14 hours a day conversing with people through an electronic medium and maybe 20 minutes talking to people face to face.

I wonder if it makes me antisocial because I panic in everyday situations. I become a mumbling mess at drive throughs because the owner of the voice in the grill can never tell what I am saying so I routinely end up with the wrong order, but am too socially inept to tell them because that would involve face-to-face interaction.

Better still if I can take their email address and forward my complaint while watching them pick up my electronic gripe in the drive-through window.

My other concern is that social networking, texting and the like is killing the English language. When you have a character limit, as you do with Twitter, you don't have much space to expound.

Imagine Leo Tolstoy trying to write War and Peace in 20 characters.

With this sad loss of our linguistic heritage looming large, not to mention the fear that the inhabitants of some of the more remote Shetland islands are losing the Gaelic tongue, I'm thinking of a campaign to bring Shakespeare into the workplace and to play a part in everyday situations.

Take the old elevator gas passing gaffe. You let one off when you are alone on the elevator and it's Sod's Law the door will open and someone will march it, only to be felled in their tracks as if they have been hit by a 2 by 4.

You have been caught red handed. There can be no other culprit. But who ever apologizes on the spot? Instead we mutter, cough, and look around for an imaginary person who we can blame.

I suggest in future we take it on the chin in true Shakespearean fashion.

O, my offense is rank, it smells to heaven,

It hath the primal eldest curse upon't—
A brother's murder. Pray can I not,
Though inclination be as sharp as will.

It's amazing how Hamlet can prove pretty useful in everyday situations.

Or try this one from Macbeth when you are standing in the lunch line and you casually pick up your knife.

Is this a dagger which I see before me,

The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which now I draw.
Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going;
And such an instrument I was to use.
Mine eyes are made the fools o' the other senses,
Or else worth all the rest; I see thee still,
And on thy blade and dudgeon gouts of blood,
Which was not so before. There's no such thing:
It is the bloody business which informs
Thus to mine eyes.

By now a large line of sighing fellow employees is gathering and it's cue for the grouchy server to yell: "Get on with it you soft headed idiot. Your dinner's going cold and you are holding everyone up."

Still I can't help but feeling there's a place for soliloquies in the work place and we are missing out.

So rather than silently griping about the managing director or sending hate filled instant messages, is it not better to take the nobler course and to grab and cardboard box and stand on it outside Mr. P's office to address the whole office.

Friends, photocopiers, colleagues, lend me your ears;

I come to bury Mr. P, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Mr. P. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Mr. P was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
(even though it netted him a BMW and a prime parking spot)
And grievously hath Mr P answer'd it.


In short I don't think one can get enough Shakespeare in the work place, not that this post was helped by the typo in the title. Well it was written late at night. So log out of Facebook and dust off a copy of King Lear now.






15 comments:

  1. Not going to happen, dusting off a copy of Shakespeare that is.

    I do agree in how social networking is destroying face to face interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with your thoughts about technology destroying people's ability to communicate face to face with one another. It is also destroying mankinds ability to write, spell and draft correspondence that extends beyond a sentence or two. I however will never give up my books and certainly not the classics. Major props to the Shakester!

    PS: Let's hope this comment isn't filled with type-o's.

    The Ranter’s Box

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether we like it or not, the world moves on. I only read Shaky at night if I'm finding it difficult to drop off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad that Willy Shakes words are fading away to modern worlds... like c u l8r. Oh how I hate lack of spelling words because we are only allowed so many characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world would indeed be a much more sophisticated place would people quote Shakespeare upon passing gas. I like it, David!
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I love it! From now on I better brush up on Bill's English!

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. :) I totally agree society has gone to crap when it comes to language. I did a whole feature story a few years ago about how teachers are finding more "text language" in their homework assignments and essays. It's appalling.

    I would love to start using Shakespeare in my every day life. Even the most mundane activities would seem more glamorous and important!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a bookstore manager, I have the privilege of the bard's company in the workplace on a daily basis...and I know a few of us booksellers that would love to converse strictly in "Shake-speak"...

    But, I weep when a customer comes through and begrudgingly picks up a play or collection of sonnets (for an assignment they'll cheat on anyway) and asks for a translated version.... *sighs and slips quietly back into her cave*

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, can I pick a different play? King Lear is so...tragically...sad. There isn't one bit of hope in the whole thing. Maybe something jaunty like A Midsummer Night's Dream or maybe the Tempest? Secondly, I looooooooooove War & Peace. Thirdly (Is thirdly a word?) My tertiary point is that text messaging is indeed making the world stupid, college children are now starting to actually write in text speak. O the horror.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! You made me laugh with this post, David. Good luck with your Shakespeare plan. Be sure and let us know how that turns out. :D

    Enjoy the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, what the Bard did do with English. The loss of eloquent locution is the dagger in our hands.
    It's always sad to witness the passing of a language, a culture. I grew up in an American city that was 80% French during my youth. Nearly every family spoke French. But in almost one generation, the language was gone. Once we stop appreciating a thing, it leaves us.
    Time for a revolution? Oh, dear Bard, bring back A feast of languages!

    ReplyDelete
  12. At the very least we can quote made on the spot poetry for those who find Will a bit heavy on the tongue and ears...
    this be stink to thee
    to me, it bespeaks
    the sterner stuff we imbibe
    the joyous meal the glutton much partook in
    the sweet reminder of activity so loved
    thy green eyed monstrous stare
    your constipated persona belies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness! I have been having blogger issues. I hope this comment goes through.

    I agree with this post. Texting has butchered our English skills and we are becoming antisocial.

    O, my offense is rank, it smells to heaven ~ now this would make a great line in a deodorant commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I quite like clear, concise language. I see Hemingway as a modern-day Shakespeare. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy Shakespeare but only when it is performed not when I'm just reading it so I reckon this plan could work. Everyone needs to dress up though and really get into it. Hope you are having a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete

On Blog PTSD

Now then. What the heck. It seems I had forgotten about my blog completely rather than just neglecting it this time. To return after so long...