Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for Flying Squirrel

F is traditionally a phase in the A-Z challenge when the initial enthusiasm dies, fewer people start hopping and commenting and it's the first time you find yourself thinking f it....

Traditionally in these kinds of scenarios, we regroup, herd together the few remaining brain cells that are left and try to cobble together a few lines about flying squirrels. Rude not to really...



In my research on flying squirrels I draw lightly on flyingsquirrels.com which was conceived and developed  to make people more aware of "North America's two species of these fascinating, nocturnal, tree dwelling, forest dependent gliding mammals."

Also Steve Patterson from flyingsquirrels.com says if you don't cite him he'll get all squirrely.

"Leave the copying of other folk's work to the 'Homer and Bart Simpsons" of this world. Plagarism will hurt YOU far more than anyone else!" warns Steve, making me wonder if he has an army of flying squirrels at his disposal poised to clinically attack the nuts of evil plagirisers, as effectively as Veruca Salt is dealt with by the squirrels in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Steve's love of flying squirrels may not be universal. "Flying squirrel damage includes accumulated droppings, urine stains, chewing and gnawing on wood, and degradation of insulation.," warns one pest control website. Flying squirrels may look cute but they don't make great pets.

Flying squirrels don't really fly either, at least not like birds. They glide between trees They are smaller than the grey squirrels we usually see squinting evilly at us from trees and can be found in North America and Siberia. The direction and speed of the squirrels in midair is varied by changing the positions of its two arms and legs, largely controlled by small cartilaginous wrist bones. Wikipedia states flying squirrels only need to attend flying school for a few weeks to get their wings.




"At birth, flying squirrels are mostly hairless, apart from their whiskers, and most of their senses are not present. By week five of their lives, they are almost fully developed. At that point, they can respond to their environment and start to develop a mind of their own. Through the upcoming weeks of their lives, they practice leaping and gliding. After two and a half months, their gliding skills are perfected, they are ready to leave their nest and are capable of independent survival."

It now occurs to me I am really rather bored with flying squirrels.

Useless Fact About Flying Squirrels.

They have been known to fly as far as 90 meters (295 feet). This makes them great for blog hopping.

What Not To Say to a Flying Squirrel

Any chance of an upgrade?









31 comments:

  1. What a great post! You had me laughing. Actually, I've never seen a flying squirrel. Can't get past the squirrel in my neighbor's tree who munches on my tulip bulbs. Would love to see that twerp in a gumbo pot--just kidding--sorta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't say "F it!" and came up with this F for Funny post about F for Flying squirrel.

    D is for Deecoded

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait....Veruca Salt was a bad egg and sent down the chute when she stood on the Educated Eggdicator! Flying squirrels? I don't remember that from the book either. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. think they were just normal squirrels - but that was the film so could have been different in the book lol.

      Delete
  4. Squirrels, flying or otherwise, are evil vermin. They ate my tiny little growing pumpkins in my garden last fall.

    I'm glad you cited Mr. Patterson. I'd hate for you to have an army of flying squirrels unleashed at you so you couldn't finish entertaining us with the rest of the AtoZ challenge.

    TaMara
    Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eeek sorrry to hear re your pumpkins TaMara - they do sound pesky.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. From curiosity, I traveling over to yours and was pleased by your humor. I read both E and F and see how you take an ordinary topic and infuse it with humor. Nicely done! I'll be back.

    Dana
    Waiter, drink please!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dana - will definitely be checking your blog again too :)

      Delete
  6. I RAN over here as fast as my little mouse would carry me because I KNEW you'd talk about Rocky and Bullwinkle. Sad face. Of course this cartoon ran a million years ago and how do I even remember it since even I was tiny tiny. And you wouldn't know about such an obscure cartoon.

    I used to love it!

    But Rocky's real name was Rocket J. Squirrel and he was a flying squirrel. I still call myself Natasha (arch nemesis of Rocky) from time to time.

    Don't f it. We're all enjoying too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eee sorry to disappoint there Deborah - also I wasn;t exposed to the joys of American kids shows apart from the stuff that was imported like Mickey Mouses lol - will check out these guys as they have enthused you.

      Delete
    2. I actually meant to mention that Mr. Macaulay. Rocky and Bullwinkle amused me, but maybe not that many others. It might not be worth the google.

      But I have been talking in my Natasha voice ever since reading your post. My husband is really not amused.

      Delete
  7. Good idea, David. I'll commission one of these creatures to do my blog hopping for me.

    I like how you're picking unusual and ugly critters for the challenge. Nice work.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep Robyn - the grosser the better is my moto lol

      Delete
  8. The beginning of this post was hilarous. Here's to hoping we make it through the rest of the month with our brain cells intact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you likeed it Jean - do need a brain cell infusion soon...

      Delete
  9. Z seems so very far away . . .
    Every time I think of flying squirls, which granted isn't often, I think of Scrat's girlfriend in Ice Age. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. granted it does Elise - I confess to not thinking about flying squirrels sooo much..

      Delete
  10. They look quite cute though. F is for feel like slapping David proper hard for putting this idea in my head. I'm going to have to go to the pub and find inspiration in dark ale and pickled onion monster munch. I love you really :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks so much - I think. God now I am wanting something I can't get - dark ale and pickled onion monster munch, well certainly not the latter :)

      Delete
  11. You're right that this is the time when you start thinking F it. I'm glad tomorrow is a free day.

    I normally love squirrels but I'm creeped out by these guys because they remind me of bats and I've been terrified by bats ever since I woke up to one flying in circles over my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. euww nasty experienced Julie - bats are not the best eh? Am hoping to find some enthusiasm for G soon lol.

      Delete
  12. These guys are totally amazing to me. I wish we had them where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Alyson - they are quite widely distributed throughout the US

      Delete
  13. We don't have flying squirrels either, but the squirrels we do have are pretty good jumpers!

    Hope you find your enthusiasm for G soon. It's too early to quit :-)

    Jenny at Choice City Native

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I have never seen a flying squirrel in person. I forgot they even existed until this post. They sound...fun? In a scary, gross kind of way. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep Jen most of my animals in this series oare gross :)

      Delete
  15. Do you go backwards in time to attend to the few blog hopping fools feebly attempting to find fabulous words with which to flabbergast fiendish foreign friends? I fear not, but if you do, your question last Friday encouraged me to fiddle around with some ideas and give this year's Blogging Challenge a bit of a feverish catch up with only a fifty-fifty chance of success. I'm here Sue feeling my way because I don't want to upset the FBI with my not always feel-good "Images of America" not formally advertised because I doubt I'll finish.
    Cheers to you and your family David
    it's always a pleasure to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. well you are too kind Sue - even if you are sort of dropping in and out of the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

On Blog PTSD

Now then. What the heck. It seems I had forgotten about my blog completely rather than just neglecting it this time. To return after so long...